Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Stockinette=boring?

Whenever I hear a knitter say stockinette or garter stitch is "boring" or working on a cable pattern or a lace shawl is "mindless knitting" I know right away they must not have small children (or they have a lot more live-in help than me!) My favorite knitting is easy simple stockinette (usually in the round) or garter stitch.

For me, I enjoy not having to look at my knitting to often, to be able to talk (usually about what Thomas the Tank is up to today) and not get frustrating that I counted round or have to rip back constantly. Not that I don't enjoy cables, color-work and the like- but I'm just not at a stage in my life right now where I can do much of it (Ocassionally at night after all other creatures are in bed I may get in a few rounds).

I have high aspirations for the furture when I have older children and perhaps a minute for myse;f no and then I'd love to learn to spin (can you imagine what would happen if a two year old got into roving? I shudder at the thought!) and make gorgeous complicated lace shawls. But for now give me rows and rows of stockinette and I'm a happy as a clam (well if a clam could knit that is...)

1st picture- Shaefer yarns anne (can't remember colrway)

2nd picture-Socks that Rock lightweight calico

3rd picture-Cascade fixation effects

2 comments:

mama k said...

Lovely! I go through phases. I haven't picked up my knitting in awhile. And yeah, I get bored doing the same thing over and over. LOL

Shelly said...

I'm with you: at this point in my life, I can only do the mindless knitting :o)